“Teja main hoon mark iddhar hai.”
Sound familiar? Anyone who claims to be a movie buff is most likely to be an Andaz Apna Apna fan as well. I, for one, consider it to be Number 1 in my list of the Top 5 Hindi funny flicks.
For all those unlucky blokes out there who haven’t seen this film, here’s a quick recap.
Amar ‘Haila’, smartass (Aamir Khan), and Prem ‘Ooi maa’, bumbling nitwit (Salman Khan), are two ambitious guys from Bhopal who want to make a quick buck by conning people. Both buffoons sell their father’s bangle shop and hair salon respectively to land in Ooty. Both also decide to woo the London-returned wealthy heiress Raveena (Raveena Tandon), accompanied by her friend-cum-secretary Karishma (Karisma Kapoor).
Basically, whoever marries Raveena will inherit all of her dad Ram Gopal Bajaj’s (Paresh Rawal) fortune. Little do they know that Bajaj has a look alike twin, Shyam, aka Teja (Rawal) who, with the help of his Paplu (Shehzad) Taplu (Viju Khote), is scheming to get his hands on the riches himself.
Another character called Crime Master Gogo (Shakti Kapoor), a cross dresser between a pirate and superhero, also has his eye on the money.
What follows from start to finish is an unstoppable session of laughs, more laughs and yet more of it. The good thing about AAA is that it is a clean entertainer and does not resort to tasteless humour or cheap gimmickry. Although shockingly low on production values, it doesn’t matter whether the backdrop is Ooty or Film City because of its frothy, engaging content.
Come to think of it, Andaz Apna Apna doesn’t have an out-of-the-world story, nor does it bank on narrative. It is purely a dialogue-cum-(comic)-action-cum-performance-based film.
My 9 favourite scenes in the film include:
1. When Amar and his father fantasise about becoming rich and famous.
2. When Amar and Prem land at the same guest house and squabble but instantly turn into an epitome of brotherly love Lord Rama and King Bharata – when the manager shows up.
3. When Amar is forced to gobble down kaali mirch ke laddoos.
4. When Prem tries to propose to Raveena only to find himself making unusual visits to the loo instead.
5. Amar making a football match out of glass of sherbets.
6. Karishma telling Prem she is Raveena and Raveena is Karishma.
7. Amar and Prem chalking down a game plan to kidnap Uncle, ie Ram Gopal Bajaj.
8. Amar, Prem getting rebuked by Uncle and a couple of reels later the reverse.
9. The entire climax.
Even though AAA did only an average business at the box office, its popularity is unbelievable on the video circuit.
I have a mini set of friends who adore Andaz Apna Apna with the same intensity as I do. In fact, my colleagues and I once had a Who Knows the Most Dialogues Contest from AAA.
Goes without saying I won